Welcome to Surrealist Studio

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Untitled Design Update #1


Ok so a quick update on the Untitled design. There is something about pre-layout. The whole designing process is what gets me excited when working with my illustrations. A clean white sheet of paper, and let the mind do the rest. Early works left me stumped and unclear where to head. This was the first stopping point.

After about a day of listening to the inner “tormented whatever” squabble amongst themselves, a few ideas sprung to life. As always, they never fail me; dark, twisted & distorted they slowly come to life. I also dipped into some previous layouts not used to help push it along.
The first was drawn out and then flipped with a transfer sheet the other was transferred and used towards the latter inking stage:


Again, with fine pen work;
I hit the small areas that will become the background. And then of course the last picture is what I have today. Again, really not sure where it’s going. I know what it’s going to be used for but just not sure why it’s moving the way it is. But then as always, none of my work ever turns out the way I want it to…its always what they want.

2 comments:

HARDWAX said...

I love reading and looking at the process in your work, and looks to be a very interesting piece. I very much look forward to the next view and of course the final outcome.

Janice Ykema said...

This is amazing stuff.... Ive never had an opportunity to see other peoples processes and I find this such an interesting process. Im trying to take OUT... learn things the hard way or long way... from my own equation(ie..learning different skills and techniques)... but ..laughing here.. learning is learning.. and I can't knock.. HOW it comes about...
I look forward to seeing your next selection.