Welcome to Surrealist Studio

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Tormented Souls an Illustrated Novel







Time moves by to fast. It seems as I close one project another one opens. Not on my own free will, but the demands of bad Daymares, lost voices and crappy coffee. I've been strapped for time as well. My move to Fort Riley is closing in on me and I'm trying to close a few loops before I become entangled in the in-process of a new base. I'm pretty excited about that, Katie emailed today and said that she will be home on the 4th of March so I can leave at least knowing that the kids are in great care of their mother. Its tough being divorced and having kids involved, but worse is leaving them in the care of others. Not to say I don't trust their day care provider, but I just cant live with myself leaving our babies with someone when its not their responsibility. I still have responsibilities as a parent and for those parents out there, you know what I'm talking about.
But being here has also brought on new ideas and new moves. I was working on an illustration cover for a book of poetry and that deal sorta flopped. It put me out due to all the money I had invested in the prints which were destroyed in an ink accident. Then the illustration board for final layouts coast out the ass. And I dropped two other very promising commissions to put full attention towards certain demands to this project. Complete mess, but no harm, no foul. The great thing is my art work speaks for itself, so I pick up commissions very easy. I just started a new project for an Anniversary Present for a couple that is going on 27 years of Marriage...Kudos to ya both, hope you have 27 more great ones. And all is not loss. Because this cover that I was doing is a really great piece I started and the inking looked great when it was done. Now that I have started all the water color its proving itself to be one of my best yet. So after a little adjustment and some additional images to the work in progress; I'm going to use it for my book cover Tormented Souls. The final layout will be at least 18 X 24, really dark dept with Quill Pen & Ink and gauche Water Color. But all together I'm trying to stretch with at least 32 prints with a mixture of Prisma Color Pencil, Ebony Pencil, water color and digital imaging. Of course all will have that dark mystic surreal look that I pull into all my projects with just a little hint of organized chaos. I will start posting updates of all the prints and how they piece together as time moves on. The book will also enclose a 10 page close up on the work in progress with pictures of pre-layout designs, water color testing, and digital enhancements. A sorta behind the scene look of how the magic of Surrealist Studio is done. So those of you who love the dark look of my art and enjoy biting your nails, to be on the edge of your seat of mystery with stories of twisted endings...then Tormented Souls is just for you.

All art work above is post-work to water color
Title: Garden Of Tormented Souls
Medium: Pen & Ink/ Gouache Water Color/ Corel Digital Editor
Size: final Layout 18 X 24
Category: Surreal

3 comments:

Unknown said...

very creative design!!

WCTs said...

Saw you at the Tart's blog.
Thought I would drop by.
Enjoyed reading your posts and looking at your work..lots of talent here!
Have a great day.

HARDWAX said...

Dark and intricate,beautiful, and the novel sounds intrigueing, I read your narrative, you have a lot on your plate.
I use Jazc paint shop pro. for 95% of what you see in my blog, and all original of course.