Welcome to Surrealist Studio

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Busy as a Bee: The Paper Wasp Queen Update #3


So today I decided to work on the lower two legs, background and some inking on the upper body.


I started by picking a lighter color (Spanish Orange) and doing the flat color work on the bottom two. While I was at it, I also did the upper one to get all the flats completed.
I then went to the darker of the flats (Yellow Weed Orange) to work on in the shadows. Latter this will give the reference to darker from lights. I use a Kneaded Eraser to get rid of the #2 outline (these lines will be replaced with foreground shadow work at a latter time).



Moving along- I go to a slighter darker color (Burnt Ochre) to begin giving that no so flat look. This color will be the base before adding the primary. Once that is done, I go over all the shadow work with the primary color (Tuscan Red) and start bringing the shadows down from underneath. The same color will go with deep detail along the legs to give it patch work (or its leg design) Then finally for the legs-Black, to give the overall seeming effect. Each color is placed on layers and built up around one another. This is to give it a smooth effect and not look as if it was splashed on.


Then some detail work (using a very fine Millennium .500) to work in the dark groves for the upper body. Very steady hand work and also the lower back next to the wing is worked in and color is added.
Another fine swipe of the Terra Pens for background and this is what it is today.

9 comments:

Simply Black and White said...

I really like your work, because you sort of have to piece it together. I also like your use of different textures and shading.

HARDWAX said...

The "queen' is looking beautiful. I like being taken through the steps in each stage of work. Wonderful technique, fascinating subject!

Unknown said...

THat's a wonderful drawing, grea to see your work in progress too!

Unknown said...

i wish i had your patience

carla said...

I really enjoy seeing the process pictures...this looks like it's turning out very cool!

Laura said...

Mike this is fabulous - she's really coming along nicely!! I love watching your detailed process and how the illo reveals itself...

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Wow, what amazing work! And fun to see it progress too. Please send me a reminder when it's done! I'd love to see it!

COLORADO BOB said...

Hey Mike just dropped in to see the updates, You've really done a nice job with the site and the art work. The pure act of the documentation is taking on a life of it's own.

Anonymous said...

it´s pretty interesting to see how artwork develops. this is a very a cool one. (and by the way: thanks for your nice comment)