Welcome to Surrealist Studio

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Hooked on A Series of Unfortunate Events


As a writer an artist, you have to expand yourself to different avenues; it helps you to grow and create a certain style. Each writer and artist has their own personal style, or voice so to speak. Their words entangle you into a realm which pulls you into a world created by their imagination.
Now I have to admit, as a beginner, I latched onto one writer and stuck with him for a while, the master of horror, Stephen King himself. I read all his books a dozen times, own his entire library and movies which were adapted from his tangled world of mystery and macabre. Then came Dean Koontz (which I recall reading The Door to December in a recycle trailer where I worked as a kid trying to earn my first way in this world at the age of 15) and became trapped in his web of demise. Both authors I still read today, adding their newest novels to my library.
Just last week I was in Target when I ran across the entire collection of Lemony Snicket, A Series of Unfortunate Events. The first thing that popped into my head was Jim Carrey and the words, “it’s french for beef which is roasted.” Now I must’ve watched this movie about a hundred times with my kids while I lived with them in Georgia, waiting for their mother to return from her recent rotation to Iraq, and never once imagined how the book was written. I picked up the first book (out of 13) and read the back which told me to put it down, don’t buy it, it’s filled with nothing but misfortunes for 3 orphan children. I have to admit, if I had never seen the movie, I would’ve bought the book right on the spot. Why, because I’m human, and when you tell a human not to do something; they 99 times out of 100 will do it anyway.
I have to say that I was hooked from the first 4 pages. The style of the book was the same as that in the movie. Each page led to another event, one right after another to the point where I had flipped 20 pages into it and almost missed my appointment. Long story short, I ended up buying it, and I’m sad to report that I will probably spend the money and by the whole box collection. Lemony Snicket (Brett Helquist) has a mysterious way of telling a story, and if you are a big reading fan, and never read it; I would have to implore picking up the collection. Even though it might seem it was meant for a child, it can turn your head and keep you flipping through the story until you reach the end. Filled with illustrations by Brett Helquist; and tuned with words from Lemony Snicket, the book is as good as the movie and well worth the time to step away from Stephen King for just a second and take a journey with the Baudelaire Children and witness first hand a series of unfortunate events.
R/S
MRF

Where I found the box collection:

Where you can find the movie:

A little about the writer:

5 comments:

S.D. said...

Wow, your art is very amazing and original, I'm quite flattered you want to put a link to my blog on yours. Thanks a lot for your kind comment! ;)

Unknown said...

I must get round to reading these....so much to read, so little time....sigh.

HecticbutHappy said...

Thank you for reading my blog Mike. I have to say your work is really amazing. I've always admired how someone can take a picture in their head or a feeling in their soul and turn it into an amazing peice of art. I've tried but have no talent for it lol. I'm going to have to read those books now. They were passed down to me a while ago and they have been sitting on my bookshelf ever since. I guess I have to pull them down.

Robin - Erithacus rubecula said...

"Their words entangle you into a realm which pulls you into a world created by their imagination"

Isnt it incredible how our ideas and thoughts when we are "creating" almost seem to come from somewhere outside ourselves? I find the whole creative process an interesting subject to ponder.
I really enjoy your work (and thoughts about it).

Robyne
www.creativewritintravel.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good words.