Welcome to Surrealist Studio

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Busy as a Bee: The Paper Wasp Queen Update


Like most of my art work, everything starts out as a drawing. A couple of weeks ago I started on some new illustrations for my book. Most of which is for the up-coming chapters (which I will not disclose) but what I do enjoy is giving a little so it gets those that want to read it drooling over the eye candy which will be out soon.
I started with the drawing, and then did an India ink job around the pencil layout to give it a flat shape. Then I start by layering color on the outside. I use different Terra shades to get the border down. I only do a little at a time so I can give it that dirty look I love so much in my artwork.

From this point, I’ve begun to add Prisma Color Pencil (Tuscan Red). This is the main color for the worker. I start dark and then add different shades lighter than before. The wings are done with the same Pitt Pens (shades of grey) again darker on the inside and then lighter working out.



After the lower part is done; I start adding shape to it by using the black prisma color pencil. This is always done last before the grey and white (which will be done latter to give it a slimy look) so it adds texture and body-giving it that dark skuzzy look. This is all I have done today, but as more is done; I will be sure to add updates.

2 comments:

Nicole Florian said...

Very interesting technique and drawing! I love very much to draw, but I become very lazy to take a piece of paper and a pencil.
Thank you for your encouragement.

isay said...

you are very creative! and you can write and draw!

i like your site and hope i can visit again.

thanks for dropping my site earlier.